r/HolyShitNews 19d ago

Bizarre Twin brothers, 19, missed a trip to Boston. Now their family wants answers after they were found dead in Georgia mountains

Thumbnail
gallery
66 Upvotes

A family is looking for answers after two brothers were found dead at the top of a Georgia mountain.

The remains of Lawrenceville twins Qaadir Malik Lewis and Naazir Rahim Lewis, both 19, were discovered by hikers at the top of Bell Mountain in Hiawassee, Georgia, on March 8, the Georgia Bureau of Investigation (GBI) announced in a news release.

Hikers made the discovery and got in contact with the Towns County 911 Center around 11:05 a.m. local time, with the Towns County Sheriff’s Office requesting involvement from the GBI.

According to a preliminary investigation, authorities believe the teens — who were found with gunshot wounds — died as a result of a "murder suicide," with autopsies pending and an investigation ongoing, per the news release.

The twins' family has been left shocked by the discovery, with relatives saying that they thought the teens were visiting friends in Boston at the time.

According to the outlet, family members said the siblings booked a 7 a.m. flight to Boston on March 7 — 24 hours before they were discovered in an area that they believe Qaadir and Naazir had never visited before.

The plane tickets were found in their wallets, family members added.

“We want answers, we want to know exactly what happened to the twins,” Samira Brawner, the twins' aunt, said.

“They’re very protective of each other. They love each other,” their uncle, Rahim Brawner, added. “They’re like inseparable. I couldn’t imagine them hurting each other because I’ve never seen them get into a fistfight before.”

Samira said the location where the teens were located — roughly 90 miles away from Lawrenceville — was one they had "never even heard of."

“How did they end up out in the mountains? They don’t hike out there, they’ve never been out there,” she continued. “They don’t know anything about Hiawassee, Georgia, ... So how did they end up right there?”

A spokesperson for the GBI said Sunday, March 16 that an autopsy is complete and official results are pending additional forensic tests.

Another aunt, Yasmine Brawner, said that her nephews had a "huge support system. She said she thinks that "something happened in those mountains."

Yasmine has since launched a GoFundMe campaign for their funeral and memorial expenses. In reference to reports of a murder-suicide, she wrote that they "wouldn't do this."

"They came from a family of love, and twins wanted so much for their future, they had dreams of starting their very own clothing line," Yasmine continued.

"Unfortunately something happened at Bell mountain that ended the lives of 19 year old Qaadir and Naazir, which needs to be further investigated. We need your support to share their story," she added.

r/HolyShitNews 3d ago

Bizarre Lawyers say Florida death row inmate should not be executed because he’s 'too obese'

Thumbnail
gallery
12 Upvotes

Lawyers working for a death row inmate say he should not be executed because he’s 'too obese'.

Michael Tanzi, 48, who was found guilty of murdering Janet Acosta, 49, in 2003, is set to face the ultimate punishment on April 8 at Florida State Prison. However, his legal team has been desperately trying to prevent him from becoming the 11th person to be put to death in America since the start of the year.

In an appeal they filed last week, the defenders stated that Tanzi's weight would make the execution unlawful and lead to his “needless suffering”. The reason for this, they argued, is current death penalty ‘protocols’ should not be applied to someone suffering from obesity or illnesses associated with it.

The lawyers said Tanzi also has “severe chronic sciatica […] hyperlipidemia, uncontrolled hypertension, and gastroesophageal reflux disease”. The document read, per New York Post: “The existing protocols for lethal injection do not contemplate the execution of someone with obesity and uncontrolled medical conditions, like Mr. Tanzi’s, that are likely to complicate the lethal injection process. Executing Mr. Tanzi using the existing protocols is likely to cause serious illness and needless suffering.”

Janet Acosta was seated inside her parked van in April 2000 when Tanzi attacked her and threatened her with a razor blade, according to court documents. Tanzi bound and gagged the woman and began heading toward the Florida Keys in her van. Tanzi sexually assaulted Acosta at one point and used her bank card to take money from ATMs.

Tanzi eventually drove to an isolated area of Cudjoe Key, where he strangled Acosta and left her body, officials said. He then drove to Key West to visit friends. As Tanzi was making his way through the Keys, Acosta’s friends reported her missing. Police recognized the woman’s van and arrested Tanzi.

r/HolyShitNews 5d ago

Bizarre Mom burned missing daughter's photos, hid a bag of cash, paid priest thousands then fled U.S. — and still no sign of the girl

Thumbnail
gallery
10 Upvotes

Madalina Cojocari will be 13 next month. She would be in junior high now were she back home in North Carolina, but instead she remains missing almost three years after she disappeared without a trace.

Now, new details about that disappearance are being brought to light thanks to newly unsealed search warrants.

The newly unsealed warrants, which allege that Madalina's mother and stepfather burned her belongings, paid thousands to a priest in her home country of Moldova and informed Madalina's grandmother of a large bag of cash she had hidden away.

Authorities did arrest Diana Cojocari and her husband, Christopher Palmiter, just a few weeks after she disappeared, but having served time for that crime, the two are now free.

Now, Diana is back home in Moldova, even as no one can find her daughter.

Among the newly unsealed warrants filed in the case is one seeking access to the family home.

In that warrant, Det. J.J. Sarver of the Cornelius Police Department writes that he went to the home of Cojocari and Palmiter to speak with the two and saw evidence of a fire pit in the backyard.

That is when Palmiter told him that Madalina's "mattress, clothing, Halloween costume and family photos" had been burned in the pit in the weeks since she went missing, according to the warrant.

Meanwhile, Det. Gina Patterson of the CPD sought access all of Diana's known bank accounts in a series of warrants tied to payments allegedly made by the mother.

The first financial decision that drew suspicion occurred days after Madalina went missing, when Diana made the first of two payments to a priest in Moldova that totaled $4,000 in the end, according to the affidavit.

She also said in a phone call with her mother from prison that she had hidden a large bag of cash, a separate affidavit states.

In none if the calls, however, did Diana or Palmiter say anything about Madalina's whereabouts.

Madalina was last seen exiting her school bus on Nov. 22, 2022.

Search efforts for Madalina did not get underway until three weeks later, when the girl's school forced Diana to address her daughter's truancy, according to the probable cause affidavit. That delay in reporting Madalina missing is what led to charges being filed against Diana and Palmiter.

A grand jury then indicted both Diana and Palmiter on a single count of failing to report the disappearance of a child.

Court records show that Madalina moved to the United States with her mother in 2016, when Diana wed Palmiter.

Prosecutors entered an image from that day as evidence when Palmiter stood trial last year, which ended with a jury convicting him for failing to report his stepdaughter missing, He was sentenced to 30 months probation.

Diana entered a guilty plea to a single count of failure to report a child missing one month prior, but the judge credited her for 521 days time served and ordered her release the following day.

Just last week, the couple finalized their divorce according to court records.

r/HolyShitNews 21d ago

Bizarre Idaho school district demands teacher pull down ‘Everyone is welcome here’ posters

Thumbnail
gallery
20 Upvotes

An Idaho school system ordered one of its teachers to remove a pair of “Everyone is welcome” posters hanging in her classroom over concerns they would “inadvertently” flame division, according to reports.

But Lewis and Clark Middle School teacher Sarah Inama, 35, is refusing back down after she received the directive from the West Ada School District on Feb. 3, leading to month-long turmoil within the district that was capped off by school officials using a sports analogy to justify their demands.

“I took them down, but I was very sad about it,” Inama told the Idaho Statesman this week. “And the following few days, I just couldn’t stop thinking about it. I came back in on a Saturday with my husband and my baby, and I put it back up.”

One sign reads “Everyone is welcome here” with hands around the message in various skin tones while the other poster states, “In this room, everyone is welcomed, important, accepted, respected, encouraged, valued” with a different background color in the background of each word, the outlet reported.

“I was told that ‘everyone is welcome here’ is not something that everybody believes. So that’s what makes it a personal opinion,” Inama additionally claimed.

The district provided emails to the Statesman that showed the district’s chief academic officer, Marcus Myers, told Inama to take down the signs because they broke rules tied to the state’s Dignity and Nondiscrimination in Public Education Act and school policy that mandates signs be “content neutral and conducive to a positive learning environment.”

The district told the newspaper it feared the two signs would “inadvertently create division or controversy.”

It also said the message in the “Everyone is welcome here” sign wasn’t the issue, but pointed to the different skin toned hands.

West Ada school leaders sent out a districtwide memo Wednesday reemphasizing its policy amid the backlash.

“Much like a well-coached sports team, success in education comes from following a structured game plan,” the memo obtained by KTVB stated.

“Every player knows that while they bring their own strengths and personality to the game, they must operate within the rules to maintain fairness and consistency.”

Inama said she was warned the signs better be gone by the end of the year in May

“Obviously, it would not be easy or ideal to lose my job,” she told the Statesman.

“I would miss my students immensely, and it would be a real financial hardship for me. But I just fundamentally feel … so unsettled and disturbed by what they’re asking me to do. I just can’t be complacent in it.”

r/HolyShitNews 22d ago

Bizarre Dominican Republic beach where Pitt student disappeared has already claimed 3 tourists’ lives this year – and only 1 body was recovered

Thumbnail
gallery
10 Upvotes

The rough waters at the Dominican Republic resort where University of Pittsburgh student Sudiksha Konanki disappeared have claimed lives in the past — including three tourists who drowned this year alone.

Three European tourists at the Riu Republica Hotel in Punta Cana were swept away and drowned on Jan. 17, while a fourth — a tourist from Russia — was hospitalized. Only one of the bodies was recovered.

The Dominican Republic National Police believe that Sudiksha, 20, who was on spring break at the Riu resort with five friends when she disappeared in the early morning hours of March 6.

Authorities think she likely drowned after going into the water following a night of partying, however, her family is not satisfied with that explanation and want cops to investigate whether she may have been kidnapped.

At least 300 law enforcement personnel — including from the FBI and sheriff’s deputies from the co-ed’s hometown in Virginia — are in their sixth day of a massive search for Sudiksha.

The last person to see her alive, identified as Iowa resident Joshua Steven Riibe, told police they went into the water but he fled the waves and passed out drunk on the beach — leaving her in the surf. If she did drown, as local authorities suggest, Sudiksha would not be the first to die in the water at the Caribbean beach.

Polish nationals Marcin Teodor Checinski, 47, and Sylwia Aleksandra, 52, along with Portuguese tourist Nelzon Nunes Ribeiro, 67, were washed out to see and drowned.

In 2023, an American tourist, 67-year-old Jorene Richards, drowned off shore at Punta Cana while on a snorkeling expedition, with three crew members later fined.

In another rough surf tragedy, a family of four from Philadelphia, including a newlywed couple, were washed away at the beach and drowned in 2015.

Kajal and Kush Patel were with a group of relatives when Kajal began struggling in the water — prompting her husband and two cousins, brothers Shivang and Jay Patel, swam out to help her. All four were pulled out to see and lost their lives.